Plugins – I was finding that my tags were getting out of hand and taking up the majority of the left navigation. The built-in tag plugin – widget does not allow me to limit the number of tags to display so I went searching for a plugin that would do the job for me. I found a free – xili-tidy-tags. I love it so far.
A description of xili-tidy-tags from the plugin site. Sounds good to me!:
xili-tidy-tags is a tool for grouping tags by semantic groups and sub-groups.
This tags aggregator can also, by instance, be used to group tags according two or more main parts of the CMS website.
Technically, as xili-language, this plugin don’t create tables in wordpress db. He only use (rich) taxonomy features. So, with or without the plugin, the base structure is not modified.
Template tags are provided to enrich the theme and display sub-selection of tags.
Through the settings admin UI, it is possible to assign to a tag one or more groups (by instance a french tag to the french language group. You can choose different storage policies.
Overview of Steps to Install, Activate and Setup xili-tidy-tags:
- Search WordPress Tag Plugin for Tag Management- xili-tidy-tags
- Install for Tag Management
- Activate WordPress Plugin for Tag Management
- Change Settings for WordPress Plugin xili-tidy-tags
- Add Tidy Tag Cloud Widget to Sidebar
- Change Number of Tags to Display
1. Search WordPress Tag Plugin – xili-tidy-tags
- Login to your WordPress Administrator backend
- Click on ‘Plugins’, ‘Add New’ and Search ‘xili-tidy-tags’
- Term = xili-tidy-tags
- Click on ‘Search Plugins’
2. Install WordPress Plugin for Tag Management
- When results are displayed, you will see under the plugin name – xili-tidy-tags
- Click on ‘Install Now’
3. Activate WordPress Plugin for Tag Management
- After downloading, unpacking and installing the WordPress plugin is complete
- Click on ‘ Activate Plugin’
4. Change Settings of WordPress Plugin Xili-Tidy-Tags
- I didn’t make any changes to the settings but if you want to change the settings of your Tag Management plugin
- Click on ‘Plugins’
- Search under ‘Installed plugins’ = xili-tidy-tags
- Click on ‘Settings’
5. Add Tidy Tag Cloud Widget to Sidebar
- Add your new plugin to your sidebar
- Click on ‘Appearance’, ‘Widgets’
- Drag the ‘Tidy Tag Cloud’ to the right under your Sidebar
6. Change the Number of Tags to Display
- After you drag and drop the ‘Tidy Tag Cloud’ to the right under the sidebar, it will open up a menu where you can set the number of tags you want to display. Also other settings are available.
- I set the following:
- Title = Tags
- Number = 30
- Click on ‘Save’
That’s it. Now my tags display on my site and does not take up the whole left navigation. I can easily change the number of tags I want displayed on my website.