3.0 Smart Search is that funky search feature like in Google. As you type a search criteria into the Google search box, a list of keywords beginning with the letters you typed in automatically get populated in a drop down box. 3.0 keeps an index of keywords from all your articles so when users type in a term in the search box it will also automatically populate a list of keywords in a drop down. See screenshot below:
Although the problem is mySmart Search is not working. I’ve tried the same steps in Joomla 2.5.8 and it works there.
Steps to try to Activate your Joomla 3.0 Smart Search:
- Go to your
- Search for Content Smart Search Plugin
- Activate Content Smart Search Plugin in
- Go to Smart Search Component in
- Index Content in Smart Search
- Index Content Running, Finished
- Smart Search – Manage Indexed Content in Component Manager
- Use Beez3 Template Module Map to Locate Search position
- Go to
- Unpublish Site Search in position-0 in
- Create a new Module in
- Create new Smart Search Module in Module Manager
- New Module Smart Search Module in position-0
1. Go to your
Login to your Joomla 3.0 website and go to your.
- Login Joomla 3.0 Administrator backend
- Click on ‘ ’, ‘Plug-in Manager‘
2. Activate Content Smart Search Plugin in Plugin Manager
In Joomla 3.0 Smart Search is not activated by default. You will need to activate it manually.
- In the Filters, set the following value:
- Select Type = content
- In the search,
- Type ‘search‘
3. Activate Content-Smart Search Plugin in Plugin Manager
Once you found the content smart search component, you will activate it.
- Under the ‘Status’ column, click on the red x
- It will turn to a green checkmark
- You will get a message that says:
4. Go to Joomla 3.0 Smart Search Component in Component Manager
You will need to index your content before you can use Joomla 3.0 Smart Search.
- Click on ‘Components’, ‘Smart Search‘
5. Index Content in Smart Search Component Manager
In the Smart Search Component you can index your content to populate that drop down that will appear when people start typing in the search box.
- Click on ‘Index‘
6. Index Content Running, Finished
After you click on ‘Index’ a window will pop up telling you that it in indexing your content. It will look like the screenshot below:
Indexer Running – Your content is being indexed. Do not close this window.
When it has completed running and finished indexing your content, you will see the screenshot below:
Indexing Complete – The indexing process is complete. It is now safe to close this window.
- Click on the little grey x beside the Smart Search Indexer title
7. Smart Search – Manage Indexed Content in Component Manager
Your Joomla 3.0 Smart Search Index page was once empty, but now it should be filled with keywords from your content. See what my Smart Search index looks like below.
8. Use Beez3 Template Module Map to Locate Search position
So now we are going to disable the existing search because it’s not smart search enabled. But first we need to find what module position it’s in.
- Go to Beez3 Module map here
- You can see from the Module map the current search is in position-0
- So we will disable the current search from position-0 and replace it with the new Smart Search
9. Go to Module Manager
We will need to disable or unpublish the search in position-0 in the Module Manager
- Click on ‘Extensions’, ‘Module Manager’
10. Unpublish Site Search in position-0 in Module Manager
Unpublish the existing Search from position-0 in the module manager.
- In the Filters, set the following value:
- Site = Site
- Select Position = position-0
- Search box, type in:
- Click on the ‘green checkmark‘
- It should turn to a red x
- You will see a success message that says:
11. Create a new Module in Module Manager
Now that we unpublished the old search box, we want to create a new smart search module to put on the website. If you refresh your Joomla 3.0 website, you will see that your search box is gone. So now we will create a new one.
- Click on ‘New‘
12. Create new Smart Search Module in Module Manager
Since Joomla 3.0 smart search has a component and module version, you can add the smart search to your website.
- Click on ‘Smart Search Module‘
13. New Module Smart Search Module in position-0
Here is the final step where you create a new Joomla 3.0 Smart Search module replacing the old search module in position-0.
- In the New Smart Search Module you created
- In the Details tab: set the following values:
- Status = Published
- Title = Whatever you want the title to be – Smart Search CmsMind
- Position = Search [position-0]
- Access = Public
- In the Basic Options tab: set the following values:
- Search Suggestions = Show
- Advanced Search = Hide
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
Now when you go to your Joomla 3.0 frontend, it should show search suggestions when you type in the search box. Except, mine doesn’t. If you see something wrong with my steps let me know. This is driving me crazy. My smart search isn’t working and I’m not happy. Do you know what’s wrong with it? Leave me a comment and let me know.