Twitter and Facebook are extremely popular ways to share yourposts. According to Wikipedia, in February 2010, Twitter users were sending 50 million tweets per day and by June 2010, about 65 million tweets were posted each day, equaling about 750 tweets sent each second. People are tweeting like crazy! So it’s only natural that you take advantage of this growing platform and create a Twitter account to broadcast your posts. Since Tweets can only be 140 characters long, there have been several sites such as bit.ly and tiny.url to help shorten the length of your URL so it would not take up your whole character limit. You can create a shortened URL for your WordPress posts easily by viewing the post or by editing it. Below are the steps.
Overview of How to Create Shortened URL for WordPress Posts:
- Get Shortend URL for WordPress Post
- See Shortened URL for WordPress Post
- Edit WordPress Post from Frontend
1. Get Shortend URL for WordPress Post
If you want to link a WordPress post in Twitter or Facebook, you can use an outside URL shortener, but WordPress has it’s own URL shortener. You can easily grab the shortened URL directly from your WordPress post.
- Login to WordPress Administrator backend
- Click on ‘Posts’, ‘All Posts’
- Edit the WordPress post you want to create a Shortened URL
- Click on ‘Get Shortlink‘
2. See Shortened URL for WordPress Post
You can see the shortened URL for your WordPress post after you link on the button ‘Get Shortlink’. You can copy this shortlink into Twitter and it will point directly to your WordPress post. This link is not search engine friendly.
- Copy the ‘URL:’ and this is your Shortened URL
3. Edit WordPress Post from Frontend
From the frontend, you can edit the post and then grab the shortened URL once again as in step 2.
- Go to your WordPress website frontend
- Go to your WordPress post you want the shortened URL
- Click on ‘Edit’
- Go to Step 2
This only works for people who host their own WordPress blog. If you created a WordPress blog with WordPress.com you will have your own Shortened URL. It will start with WP.me. You can see here for more information about WordPress.com’s WP.me shortened url.