I just finished installing3.0 Beta on my website. The Beta version is not for production websites and just for and plugin testings. I installed it to check out the in 3.0. The new installation process is only 3 steps!! This is awesome.
Here are the steps on how to installbeta for your website:
- Installation Configuration
- Joomla 3.0 Installation Database
- Joomla 3.0 Database Connector returned number error
- Joomla 3.0 Installation Overview
- Joomla 3.0 Installation Installing
- Joomla 3.0 Installation Installed – Remove folder
- Joomla 3.0 Congrats! COMPLETED! Installed – See Joomla 3.0 Frontend
1. Joomla 3.0 Installation Configuration
After going to your website installation link, you will be presented with a 3 step Joomla 3.0 installation process. The first step is the Joomla 3.0 configuration where you will enter the Main Configuration. Please enter in information relevant for your website.
- Select Language = English
- Site Name = Cmsmind
- Description = Cmsmind.com ’s testing Joomla 3.0 website
- Admin Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Admin Username: This is the username used for your Joomla 3.0 backend
- Admin Password: This is the password used for your Joomla 3.0 backend
2. Joomla 3.0 Installation Database
Before you enter in the database information, you need a database created on your web hosting. I already created a database in my Dreamhost and using that information for my Joomla 3.0 installation
- Database Type = MySQLi
- Host name = localhost
- Username = <database information created in your webhosting>
- Password = <database information created in your webhosting>
- Database name = <database information created in your webhosting>
- Table Prefix = <leave the default value>
3. Joomla 3.0 Database Connector returned number error
After entering in the Database information above, I got the below error message. The reason was because I entered the wrong host name. If any of the database information does not match information you have on your web hosting, you will get this error message.
- Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number. Could not connect to MySQL.
After I changed the Host Name, the error message went away and I was able to proceeds o the next step.
4. Joomla 3.0 Installation Overview
Here you can choose to Installfrom a radio button. I would select:
- Install = Default English (GB)
- Email Configuration = Yes
- Include Passwords in Email = No
- Site Offline = No
- Click on ‘Install’
5. Joomla 3.0 Installation Installing
After you click on ‘Install’ you will see an ‘Installing…” progress bar. The installation will also:
- Backup old database tables
- Create Database tables
- Create configuration File
- Once complete will send email to your email address
6. Joomla 3.0 Installation Installed – Remove folder
Congratulations! Joomla 3.0 is now installed on your website. All that is left is to remove the installation folder. You can accomplish that by:
- Click on the ‘Remove installation folder’
- Click on ‘Site’ to visit your Joomla 3.0 Frontend
- Click on ‘Administrator’ to visit your Joomla 3.0 Backend
7. Joomla 3.0 Installed – See Joomla 3.0 Frontend
Once you click on ‘Site’ in the window above, you will see Joomla 3.0 installed on your website. If you selected to have sample data installed as well, you will see the website populated with sample data.
The whole installation process was very fast and efficient. The slim down version from previous version is a great enhancement to Joomla 3.0. I love the 3 step process instead of a long 8-9 step process. I guess the only thing is that the error message when creating a database is still a little confusing. I thought they got rid of installing Sample data for Joomla 3.0, but the heading for the ‘Sample Data’ is small and I missed that section when installing Joomla 3.0 the first time.
I’m off to checkout the Joomla 3.0 backend!