After installing3.0, I realized I didn’t have any . So I’m going through the installation process again. But before I install 3.0 again, I need to uninstall it. I’ve documented the process of uninstalling 3.0 manually. Dreamhost doesn’t have the fantastico installation yet, so I have to install and uninstall manually.
Below are the steps to Uninstallmanually
- Telnet or SSH into your domain to access your backend files
- Delete all files in website directory
- Login to your to access Database Tables
- Delete all Joomla 3.0 tables
- Confirm Delete of all Joomla 3.0 tables
- Check website to see Joomla 3.0 uninstalled
1. Telnet SSH into your domain to access your backend files
If you are using Dreamhost web hosting, you will need to activate your SSH functionality. If you don’t know how to do that, you can ask your web hosting provider. Some web hosting providers do not provide ssh. You can also use your Webhosting File Manager.
- telnet and access your domain
- cd domainname.com
2. Delete all files in website directory
Delete all the files in your website directory. If you want to make a backup of anything, I would recommend to use the mv command to move it to the parent directory.
- If you want to make a backup of a file use the command (the periods are required and there is a space between the filename and the periods):
- mv filename ..
- Delete all files in the website directory
- rm * -r
3. Login to yourto access Database Tables
Go to your web hosting and login to your. In Dreamhost
- Click on ‘My SQL Databases’
- Under ‘Web Administration’ click on phpMyAdmin link beside the website you want to change.
- In phpMyAdmin, click on the database you want to change. In my case, I click on cms_db1 (61)
4. Delete all Joomla 3.0 tables
Now drop all the tables related to your Joomla 3.0 installation. The prefix is unique to the installation. You might have installed many instances of Joomla 3.0, so only select all the same database table prefixes. In my case, I only have one installation of Joomla 3.0 and will drop all tables in my database.
- Click on the tab ‘Structure’
- Scroll to the bottom
- Click on ‘Check All’
- Click on ‘With selected:’
- Select ‘Drop’
5. Confirm Delete of all Joomla 3.0 tables
Next screen you will get the SQL Statement that will run to drop all your tables in your database. If you want to cancel deleting/dropping all tables, you can click on ‘No’. If you want to proceed:
- In the tab ‘Structure’
- Click on ‘Yes’
- Next screen you will see confirmation message:
- Your SQL query has been executed successfully
- So now all your Joomla 3.0 tables in your database have been deleted
6. Check website to see Joomla 3.0 uninstalled
Now you can go to your internet explorer and check your website. There is nothing there. You finished uninstalling Joomla 3.0.