Help – View Page Source is a good way to see the html or php code used to generate the page you are on. After viewing the page source of a particular website I found that it disclosed that it was running on and the version. This is a security concern as a webmaster because you want to reveal less about the platform you are using. Again this does not totally remove the identity of the cms you are using, but it helps a little towards security of your website.
How to see the problem:
- Go to your website frontend
- Right click, and view source
- If you search in the code you will find:
<meta name=”generator” content=”! 1.6 – Open Source Content Management”/>
There are 2 ways to remove this meta generator tag:
1. Install anamed ‘Set Generator Tag’
2. Editing your default site template file.
Below I will show you how to edit your index.php file to remove the meta generator tag (Option 2):
- Login to your FTP Manager or File Manager
- Goto and edit your default site template index.php file.
- For example:
- the first block of code should be <?php and closed off a couple lines down with ?>
- Before the closing tag ?> add in the following code so it looks like below:
// Remove the generator meta tag
- Save the index.php file.
Now if View the source code of your frontend you will see that the meta tag generator field is now blank:
<meta name=”generator” content=”” />
Now you must do the same to these following files: