After the initial install of.3 the default editor activated is the Advanced TinyMCE Editor. There are different version of the Editor – Simple, Advanced and Extended version. The editor is mainly used in the creation of new articles in the . For the less experienced HTML programmers, the ‘Extended’ provides the most help in automatically inserting HTML tags and elements through clicking of a button. While the Simple version is for those are more HTML savvy.
Simple TinyMCE Editor Looks like this:
Advanced TinyMCE Editor Looks like this:
Extended TinyMCE Editor Looks like this:
This is all already installed in your current installation of1.7.3, there are no additional or that you need to download to activate the different instances of TinyMCE editor. Follow the easy steps below and you can toggle between the editors easily. The most popular version is the Extended TinyMCE Editor, simply because it provides users the most functionality with a click of a button. Below I will show you how to activate your Extended TinyMCE Editor.
- Check default editor in Global Configurations
- Select an Editor in TinyMCE
- Create a New Article in
1. Check Default Editor in Global Configuration
After initial Joomla 1.7.3 installation, TinyMCE editor is already chosen as the default editor for the Article Manager and. These steps are to ensure that the default editor was not changed.
- Login to your Joomla 1.7.3 Administrator backend
- Click on ‘Site’, ‘Global Configuration’
- Select the ‘Site’ tab
- Under ‘Site Settings’, set the following value:
- Default Editor = Editor – TinyMCE
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
2. Select an Editor in TinyMCE
TinyMCE is a plugin packaged in with the installation of Joomla 1.7.3. There are many properties of this plugin which you can enable or disable in the Plugin Manager. Below is how you would access these options and change the Editor selected to ‘Extended’:
- Click on ‘Extensions‘, ‘Plug-in Manager‘
- Click and edit ‘Editor – TinyMCE’
- Under ‘Basic Options’, set the following value:
- Functionality = Extended
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
3. Create a New Article in Article Manager
You can test out your new editor when creating a new article or even when creating a new category. The new editor should be visible once you refresh your screen. If you were already in the window of creating an article, you will need to relaunch that window to see revised editor.
- Click on ‘Content’, ‘Article Manager‘, ‘Add New Article’
- Click on ‘Content’, ‘Category Manager‘, ‘Add New Category’
The new editor will be available for existing articles and categories as well.