And I thought I was going crazy. I searched all the forums but no one really complained that theirdrop down menus were not working properly. My drop down menus were non existent! The child menus were always showing off to the right side, or even at one point they were overlapping each other. I reinstalled my three more times to make sure it wasn’t because I screwed up the installation. Until finally I found the solution. Simple as always. It’s because the 1.7 default template does not handle drop down menus correctly.
Problem: See screenshot below. Drop Down menus are not displaying properly in1.7 template
Solution: Switch to a new. IE Install a new Joomla 1.7 Template.
You can install any Joomla 1.7 template and the drop down menus should work. I found my free here.at ThemeGoat. This template is called jMint and can be downloaded
Steps to get your “Top” menu drop down to work:
- Download new Free Joomla 1.7 Template
- Install Joomla 1,7 Template in
- Activate Joomla 1.7 Template in
- Find new Module Positions in
- Modify “Top” menu position to the new template module position in
1. Download Free
- Go to the link to download the template from ThemeGoat
- Download the template and DO NOT unzip it.
2. Install Joomla 1.7 Template in
- Login to your Joomla 1.7 administrator backend
- Click on , Extension Manager, Install
- Select the ZIP file from step 1
- Click on ‘Upload & Install’
3. Activate Joomla 1.7 Template in Template Manager
- Click on , Template Manager, Styles
- Use the checkbox to select the template just installed
- Click on the ‘Star’ – Make Default
4. Find the new module positions in Template Manager
- Find the module positions for this new template installed on your Joomla 1.7 website
- Click here to find out how to see What are the new Module Positions
- Found out the new menu position is “menuload’
5. Modify “Top” menu position to the new template module position in
- Click on Extensions, Module Manager
- Find and edit your “Top” menu
- Fill in the following values:
- Position = Menuload
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
Now you can refresh your Joomla 1.7 website and see your drop down menus are working.