Help – Adding a ‘Read More’ link to break up a Long Article.
Mostarticles you post on your site will be longer than a paragraph. So it’s beneficial to know how to use the ‘Read More’ link so you don’t have to show the full contents in a 4 columned category blog layout. For a long article, you can show a teaser and display a ‘Read More‘ button. Once the visitor clicks the read more button, it brings them directly to the article page where they can read the whole article. Here are the steps to do it.
This is an tutorial that I created in response to a an email from Robert.
BTW, this is a small thanks to Robert for his email. I was always meaning to write this article but never got around to do it. Although this might sound stupid because I don’t know what a Cloud Access template is. I can address how to add a “Read More” link in yourarticle. Unless you already know where it is and it’s related to the Cloud Access issue.
Edit your Article in the Content Manager
1. Login to your Joomla 1.7 administrator backend.
2. Go to ‘Content’, ‘’.
3. Edit the article.
4. Place your mouse where you want the read more link to show up.
5. See below the content box, there is a button that says ‘Read More’. Click that button.
6. You will see a red dotted line show up where your ‘Read More’ button will show.
7. Click on ‘Save & Close’.
Enable the Read More link in Article Options
8. Go to ‘Content’, ‘’, Click on the ‘Options’ button on the top
9. Under the ‘Article’ tab, set the following values:
- Show “Read More” = Show
- Show Title with Read More = Show
10. Click on ‘Save and Close’
Refresh your Joomla 1.7 website and you should see the ‘Read More’ link show up on the article you added it to. For some reason you cannot set the ‘Read More’ link to show up automatically after a certain character count. If you find a component or plugin for Joomla 1.7, please let me know!! I’m looking for one too. Your article should look like below:
Hope that helps,
Related Wordpress and Joomla Help:
- Joomla 2.5 – How to Remove the Article Title from Read More Link
- Joomla 1.7 Help – Creating an Internal Link in an Article
- Joomla 1.7 Tutorial – How to Create an External Link in an Article
- Joomla 1.7 Tutorial – How to Link to Sub Menus to Article Categories
- Joomla 1.7 Help – How to add Links Inside your Joomla Article