Tutorial – Assign Articles to Multiple Categories. Currrently in you cannot assign articles to multiple categories. One article belongs to one category. I also want to create a category blog that includes articles from different categories and that’s also impossible. I recommend to download a free 2.5 Component called Multicategories Component from the Extension Directory (JED). You can use this component to pick a category and assign articles to it. Then you can also create a category blog that includes categories from different categories. I’ve listed the steps below. Below is a screenshot of the Free Joomla component to help assign articles to multiple categories.
Overview of Steps to Assign Articles to Multiple Categories
- Download Joomla MultiCategories from JED
- Upload & Install Joomla MultiCategories to Joomla 2.5
- Go to Multicategories Component – Categories
- Pick a Category in the Multicategories Component
- Assign Articles to Category in Multicategories Component
- See Articles Assigned to Category in MultiCategories Component
Overview of Steps to Create a Category Blog with Articles from Multiple Categories
- Go to Main Menu, Create New Menu Item
- Create a Category Blog with MultiCategories Component
- Select Multicategories, Category Blog Menu Type
- Choose Category in Multicategories Menu Item
1. Download Joomla MultiCategories from JED
Search for the free Joomla 2.5 extension named Multicategories.
The extension features:
- multilevel category content site structure support;
- multicategory article support (single article can be assigned to several categories);
- deep visual and functional integration with Joomla!1.5;
- standard Joomla! Category association for auto adding articles to associated Multicategories Category;
- default caching system support;
- system SEF support
2. Upload & Install Joomla MultiCategories to Joomla 2.5
I’ve created a post on how to upload and install Joomla. You can follow the tutorial here:
3. Go to Multicategories Component – Categories
Now the component is installed in your Joomla 2.5 Website. I made the mistake of thinking it would affect how the Article Manager would look like or the individual articles, but that’s not where you go. You will have to go to theand in there, there is a new – Multicategories.
- Login to your Joomla 2.5 Administrator Backend
- Click on ‘Components’
- Click on ‘Multicategories’
- Click on ‘Categories‘
4. Pick a Category in the Multicategories Component
Here you will assign articles to a category. It’s kind of reverse thinking yes. In the Multicategory Categories view, you will see all the categories you created in your Joomla 2.5 website. Pick a category and you will assign articles to it. In my example, I picked the Joomla Category.
- Click on a category you want to edit
- Click on ‘Joomla’
- Take note that the ‘Articles’ column is 0. That means there are 0 articles assigned to this category.
5. Assign Articles to Category in Multicategories Component
Pick as many articles you want to have this category. Whatever category it is in now, it doesn’t matter. Just select all the articles you want to be assigned to this category. You can use the <control> key to select more than one article. In my example, I just selected the top 4.
- In the Multicategories: Edit an Article Category
- In the Articles section: Select all the articles you want to assign to this category
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
6. See Articles Assigned to Category in MultiCategories Component
After you save the Multicategories. You will see the article count increase to the number of articles selected in step 5.
- Take note that in the Joomla category, the number of articles increased to 4. The number of articles I selected in step 5.
7. Go to Main Menu, Create New Menu Item
Now we will create a category blog menu item to show all these articles from different categories.
- Click on ‘Menus’
- Click on ‘Main Menu’, ‘Add New Menu Item
8. Create a Category Blog with MultiCategories Component
Create a Category Blog with Articles that are assigned to multiple categories using the MultiCategories Component.
- Click on ‘Select‘
9. Select Multicategories, Category Blog Menu Type
Select the Component Type – Multicategories – Category Blog
- In the next window that pops us
- Click under ‘Multicategories’, ‘Category Blog‘
10. Choose Category in Multicategories Menu Item
Now select the category name that you assigned all those articles to from step 5.
- Under Details:
- Enter in the following details:
- Menu Title = Multi Cat – Animal & Joomla
- Status = Published
- Access = Public
- Menu Location = Main Menu
- Parent Item = Menu Item Root
- Under ‘Required Settings’
- Choose a category = Joomla
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
Now view your Joomla 2.5 website frontend. You should see a new menu link under your main menu called ‘Multi Cat – Animal & Joomla’. This is the link you created in Step 10. It should be a category blog of all the articles you selected in step 5.
Hope that helps. Please leave a comment if you have any questions.