Tutorial on How to Delete a Menu Item Alias. You tried to save a menu item in and you get this error:
Save failed with the following error: Another menu item with the same parent has this alias.
You were trying to save a menu item in my Main Menuand kept on getting this error message. This error message is easy to fix and happens because you previously deleted a menu item with the same alias as the one you are trying to save. So to delete the menu alias all you have to do is empty the Trash. Simple right? 🙂
Below is a screenshot of the error message:
Overview of the Steps:
- Go to the – Menu Items, Change Status to Trashed
- in the Menu Manager
- Change Status to ‘All’
- Edit the Menu item in Menu Manager, Save with Same Alias
1. Go to the Menu Manager – Menu Items, Change Status to Trashed
Go to your Menu Manager and filter only for only menu items that you deleted. My Menu Manger is Main Menu and Menu Item is ‘CmsMind Cat Blog’
- Login to your Joomla 2.5 Administrator backend
- Click on ‘Menus’, ‘Main Menu’
- Click on ‘Select Status’, Click on ‘Trashed’
2.in the Menu Manager
Joomla 2.5 does not allow 2 menu items in the same Menu to have the same alias – even if it is in the trash. So here you will delete the menu that has the same alias.
Joomla 2.5 – Purge Trash in Main Menu Manager
- Click the checkbox beside the Menu Item Title
- Click on ‘Empty Trash‘
3. Change Status to ‘All’
Now go back to edit the original Menu Item. First you have to change the status back to ‘All’.
- You will see success message – 1 menu Item successfully deleted.
- Click on ‘Select Status’, select ‘All’
4. Edit the Menu item in Menu Manager, Save with Same Alias
Edit and save the Main Menu item and will get a successfully saved message.
- Enter in the same ‘Alias’
- Click on ‘Save’
- Get a success message: Menu Item successfully saved.
So by purging the trash, you delete the menu alias. You can save another menu item with the same alias.
Hope that helps,