Tutorial – I was in the process of deleting all my banners and emptying out the trash when I encountered this error while trying to empty the trash in the Banner Categories. See screenshot below:
Delete not allowed for category Sample Data-Banners. 3 items are assigned to this category.
There are no banners assigned to the category because I already deleted them all. I could not find the source of the problem so I decided to delete it from the database directly using the. Below are the steps that I used to fix this problem.
- Login to
- Find the _banners table, Select & Delete all Banner Categories in the _banners table
- Click on ‘GO’ to confirm deletion in
- Go to 2.5 backend and in Banner
1. Login to2.5 phpMyAdmin
- Go to your web hosting and login to your 2.5 phpMyAdmin
- Through your phpMyadmin you can access the backend tables of your Joomla 2.5 website.
- Please note that you must follow these directions exactly otherwise will cause severe problems to your website which may result in bringing down your whole site.
- Recommended: Take a backup of your database.
2. Find the _banners table, Select & Delete all Categories in the _banners table
As mentioned above, please take a backup of your database before you make any changes in the phpMyadmin. Any errors made in the backend tables may result in bringing down your whole site. Here you will find the _banners table, select all the banners and delete them. See screenshot below:
- Scroll down on the left side to find the table _banners
- Click on ‘Check All’
- Click on the ‘x’ to delete all categories selected
4. Click on ‘GO’ to confirm deletion in phpMyAdmin
phpMyadmin provides a security check to make sure you want to delete the values from the table. Click yes to confirm deletion of the banner categories.
- Under “Do you really want to:”
- Click on ‘Yes“
5. Go to Joomla 2.5 backend andin
Log back into your Joomla 2.5 backend administrator panel and access your Banner Category Manager. If you try to empty the Banner Category trash you will see no errors.
- Login to your Joomla 2.5 Admnistrator backend
- Click on ‘Components’, ‘Banners‘, ‘Categories‘
- Use the checkbox to select all categories and click on ‘Empty Trash’
- Will see a message that says:
2 categories successfully deleted
That’s it. You successfully deleted your banner categories.