3.0 Tutorial – How to install a Plugin in . Sometimes when you download from the Extension Directory (JED), you don’t know if it’s a component, module or plugin. Well sometimes I’m a little unsure myself. That is until you download the file. Here’s a trick to figure out which is a plugin, module or component. Developers usually name their plugins with a prefix of ‘plg_’, modules with a prefix of ‘mod_’ and usually do not have any prefixes. If the extension that you downloaded is a ‘plg_’, here is how you will upload and install this plugin.
Overview of Steps to Install
- Go to the Extension Manager
- Select File, Upload & Install Plugin in Extension Manager
- Plugin Successfully Installed
1. Go to the Extension Manager
Extension manager you can install and uninstall , modules, languages, plug-ins, and templates.
- Login to your Administrator Backend
- Click on ‘Extensions’, ‘Extension Manager‘
2. Select File, Upload & Install Plugin in Extension Manager
Once you download the Plug-in from the JED, keep it as a ZIP file. Do NOT unzip the file you downloaded. It is easiest to upload and install the plugin as a ZIP file. Also make sure your Plug-in is Joomla 3.0 compatible otherwise you will have errors.
- In the ‘Extension Manager’, click on ‘Install’
- Click on the tab ‘Upload Package File’
- Click on ‘Choose File’, select the plg_ ZIP file from your computer
- Click on ‘Upload & Install‘
3. Plugin Successfully Installed
After uploaded and installed the Plugin you will see a success message.
- After uploading and installing the plugin you will see a success message that says:
Installing plugin was successful.
Hope that helps. Please leave a comment if you have any questions.