3.0 Tutorial on how to create a menu link to an external URL. This is very easy and you can accomplish this by creating a new menu item and selecting the ‘External URL’ menu item type in the . Make sure that you created a module for this menu so that you can view it on the of your website once you are complete.
Overview of Steps to Create a Menu Link to a URL
- Go to in 3.0
- Add Details of Menu Item
- Select Menu Item Type as External URL
- Type in URL in the Menu Item
1. Go to Menu Manager in
Menu Manager is where you create navigational elements in your site. You can create links to anywhere on your site or create links to installed in your Joomla website. Here you will create a new Menu Item in the Main Menu.
- Login to your Joomla 3.0 Administrator Backend
- Click on ‘Menus’, ‘Main Menu’, ‘Add New Menu Item‘
2. Add Details of Menu Item
In the Menu Manager: New Menu Item now you can enter in the menu details. In my example I am creating a link to my site cmsmind.com. You can create links to any external site you want.
- In Details, enter in the following info:
- Menu Title = Menu Link to URL cmsmind.com (this is the name of the link you will see on the of your site)
- Menu Item Type = Click on ‘Select‘
3. Select Menu Item Type as External URL
Now you can select different types of menu item types. To create a link to a site outside of your domain, you will select creating an ‘external URL’.
- Click on ‘System Links’
- Click on ‘External URL‘
4. Type in URL in the Menu Item
Now in your new Joomla 3.0 Menu Item Type, you have successfully changed it to an external URL menu type. You can now enter in the link you want this menu item to link to. You can type in any link. In my example, I am creating a link to my site cmsmind.com. You can link to any site you wish.
- In the details, enter the following info:
- Link = http://www.cmsmind.com
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
Now you can view your Joomla 3.0 website from the frontend and see that your menu now has a new link with the name/title you gave it in step 2. When you click on this link, it will link to the link URL you provided in step 4.
Hope that helps. Please leave a comment if you have any questions.