I just noticed3.0 has a new way to order . It’s a slightly easier way and definitely easier to understand. This new way to order articles is only available for and not for the rest of the articles in the Content Manager. This is the only place where you cannot drag and drop your articles to sort them. The method of ordering Featured Articles goes back to the same format from previous years. You can use arrows to move the article up and down or type in the order number you want it to show up in.
Overview of How to Order Featured Articles
- Go to Content Manager, Featured Articles
- Click on ‘Ordering’ in Featured Articles
- Click on ‘Move Down’ in Featured Articles
- See Article Sort Saved
- Sort by Numbering in Featured Articles
- See Featured Article Sort Saved
1. Go to Content Manager, Featured Articles
One of your Menu items uses the Featured Articles as it’s menu type. If you want to reorder your featured articles, you go to the Content Manager, Featured Articles.
3.0 – Content Manager Featured Articles
- Login to your 3.0 Administrator Backend
- Click on ‘Content’, ‘Featured Articles‘
2. Click on ‘Ordering’ in Featured Articles
To initiate the manual ordering, you click on the heading ‘Ordering’. There are 2 ways to manually re-order your featured articles. The first way is to use the up and down arrows.
Sort Featured Articles Click on Ordering
- Click on the heading ‘Ordering‘
3. Click on ‘Move Down’ in Featured Articles
You can re-order your Featured Articles by using the up and down arrow buttons to move the featured article below or above the next article.
Sort Featured articles by using Up and Down Arrow buttons
- Click on the ‘down arrow‘ button or the ‘up‘ arrow button to manually move article down or up
4. See Article Sort Saved
Right after you click on the down arrow, you will see the Featured Article order has been saved.
Joomla 3.0 Sort Featured Articles – by up/down arrow – saved
- See message that says:
Ordering successfully saved.
5. Sort by Numbering in Featured Articles
Another way to manually sort your Featured Articles is to manually type in the order you want them to show up with numbers. After you click on the heading ‘Ordering’ (as in step 2):
Type numbers to manually reorder Featured Articles in Joomla 3.0
- Click heading ‘Ordering’
- Type the ordering you want the featured articles to appear.
- #1 will be the first article at the top of the page
- Click on button right below the heading ‘Ordering’ to save the ordering.
6. See Featured Article Sort Saved
You can see that after I saved the ordering, the featured articles are ordering in the sequence I wanted them to appear in Step 5.
Sort by Numbering in Featured Articles Joomla 3.0
You can see by comparing Step 5 and Step 6, that my ordering is shown correctly now. Too bad this ordering is not available in the Content Manager and only available in the Featured Articles section. I like this style of manually ordering much more than the drag and drop.
I hope this helps you.