here on how to disable user registration in the .3.1.1 Tutorial on How to block users from your website. If there are registered users that are abusing your website you can block them in the . Now this does not prevent them from creating a new account, but you can stop them from using a particular account to abuse your website. If you wanted a drastic solution, you can block the user and also disable user registration. See my tutorial
Overview of How to Block Users
- Go to Users,
- Find the User you want to Block in User Manager
- Select User and Block User in User Manager
- User Successfully Blocked
- See Error Message When User Tries to Log in – Login Denied
1. Go to Users, User Manager
When users register on your Joomla 3.1.1 website, they are managed in the User Manager. You can edit, delete, block, and manage users in the User Manager.
- Login to Joomla 3.1.1 Administrator Backend
- Click on ‘Users’, ‘User Manager‘
2. Find the User you want to Block in User Manager
Search in the User Manager for the user you want to block. You can type in the name in the search bar. In my example, I typed in ‘’.
- In the Search box, type in the user to block
- Search box =
3. Select User and Block User in User Manager
Once you found the user you want to block in your Joomla 3.1.1 website, select the user and click on the ‘Block’ button on the Admin toolbar.
- Select user with checkbox
- Click on ‘Block‘
4. User Successfully Blocked
Now you will see that the user is successfully blocked. The Enabled flag was a green checkmark, but now it toggled to a red x. That means this user is no longer enabled.
- See message:
- User blocked
- See status button below the title ‘Enabled’
- Enabled = Red x
5. See Error Message When User Tries to Log in – Login Denied
Now when the user tries to log in to your Joomla 3.1.1 website they will see an error message saying ‘Login Denied’. See screenshot below.
- When the user tries to log in to your Joomla 3.1.1 website, they will see an error message:
- Login denied! You account has either been blocked or you have not activated it yet.
If you want to unblock a user, you can go back to step 3. Select the user and click on ‘Unblock’.