3.1.1 Tutorial on how to create a new contact category in the Contact Manager. The Contacts is a component that came installed with your 3.1.1 installation. It manages all the contacts in your website. If your website is for a business, you can create multiple contact categories for the different departments in your company. You can list people in your company, sort them into groups and also link them to their user id/email address. This way you can create a contact form directly to your contacts. Below I will show you how to create a new contact category. I am editing an existing contact category and create a new contact category. One will be called Finance and the other Sales.
Overview of How to Create a New Contact Group
- Go to , Contacts
- Go to Contact Manager Categories, Edit Existing Category
- Change Category Name Details
- Create a New Contact Category in Contacts Manager
- Enter New Contact Category Details in Contacts Manager
1. Go to, Contacts
You can create your business contacts or people you want your visitors to have access to in your Contacts Manager.
Joomla 3.1.1 Components Contacts Manager
- Login to your Joomla 3.1.1 Administrator Backend
- Click on ‘Components’, ‘Contacts‘
2. Go to Contact Manager Groups, Edit Existing Group
Each contact must belong to a Contact Category. There is an existing category already created by default called ‘uncategorized’. I will rename this contact category to be Finance. You can name it anything you want.
Joomla 3.1.1 Click on Contact Category, Edit Uncategorized Category
- In : Contacts
- Click on ‘Categories’
- Click on heading ‘Uncategorized‘
3. Change Category Name Details
Change the contact category name details to whatever you want. I’m changing my category name to Finance.
Joomla 3.1.1 : Edit a Contact Category
- In Category Manager: Edit a Contacts Category, enter the following details:
- Title = ’s Finance Team
- Alias = ’s Finance Team
- Description = This is the Finance Team where all the money is
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
4. Create a New Contact Cateogry in Contacts Manager
Now I want to create a second contact category, I will click on the ‘New’ button in the Contacts Manager.
Joomla 3.1.1 Create New Contacts Category
- In Category Manager: Contacts
- Click on ‘Categories’ tab
- Click on ‘New‘
5. Enter New Contact Category Details in Contacts Manager
Now enter the new contact category details you want. My new contact category title will be Sales.
Joomla 3.1.1 Tutorial – Contact Manager Create New Contact Category
- In the Category Manager: Add a New Contacts Category, enter the following details:
- Title = ’s Sales Team
- Alias = Elaine’s Sales Team
- Description = Elaine’s Sales Team is where all the sales people go and make money!
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
Now that you have 2 contact categories in your Contacts Component, you can create contacts to assign to these categories.