Who’s online module is a simpleextension that tells you how many guests and registered users are on your site at any given time. The stats are real-time so the number will fluctuate as people come and go from your site. The Who’s Online module is a pre-installed extension that comes with your 3 installation, so you don’t need to install again. Here is a 3 tutorial on how to add Who’s Online module to your site if you don’t have it in published status already.
Overview of How to Add Who’s Online Module to your Joomla 3 Website
- Go to your
- Create a New Module in
- Select ‘Who’s Online’ Module Type in
- Enter Who’s Online Module Details in Module Manager
- Select Who’s Online Options in Module Manager
- Select Who’s Online Menu Assignment in Module Manager
1. Go to yourModule Manager
All your modules in Joomla 3 are managed in theModule Manager. You can create new, delete, publish, unpublish, modify and edit modules in the Module Manager.
- Login to your Joomla 3 Administrator backend
- Click on ‘Extensions’
- Click on ‘Module Manager‘
2. Create a New Module in Module Manager
Create a new module in the Module Manager. There are many types of modules you can add. When you install a module, you can create a new module from here.
- Click on ‘New‘
3. Select ‘Who’s Online’ Module Type in Module Manager
A new window will pop up on the different Module types you can add. At the bottom is where you will find the ‘Who’s Online’ module.
- Click on ‘Who’s Online‘
4. Enter Who’s Online Module Details in Module Manager
Now you can configure your module in the Who’s Online New Module in Module Manager. You will enter the title, position you want to place the module in, if you want it to be published, who you want the module to be visible to and more. If you don’t know your module positions, you can click here to see how to see your module positions. If you are using Beez3, click here for your module positions. Enter your own details below, mine are for demo purposes only.
- In the Details tab, set the following:
- Title = Cmsmind Who’s Online
- Show Title = Show
- Position = Left Middle [position-4]
- Status = Published
- Access = Public
5. Select Who’s Online Options in Module Manager
You can customize your Who’s online module. You can choose to show either just usernames or # of Guests/users or both. I selected to just show the number of guests and users online.
- Click on ‘Options’ tab
- Under Basic Options, set the following value:
- Display = # of Guests/Users
6. Select Who’s Online Menu Assignment in Module Manager
You can also customize where you want your ‘Who’s Online’ module to appear. You can choose to display the module on all pages, select pages or exclude on select pages. I want to display the module on all pages.
- Click on ‘Menu Assignment’
- For Module Assignment, set the following value:
- Module Assignment = On all pages
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
You can refresh your site and see the new ‘Who’s Online’ module on your website. If you don’t see it, reassign the module to a different module position in Step 4.
Thanks. Hope that helps,