Every article you create in3 must be assigned to a category. If you don’t have a category created, you will not be able to publish your new article. So if this is a new installation of , you should first create a category before you create an article. You can also nest your categories, so you can have a parent category with many child categories underneath it. In my example, I will show you how to create a new parent category.
Overview of How to Create a New Article Category in:
- Go to Content
- Click on New Category in Article
- Enter New Category Details in Article Category Manager
1. Go to Content Category Manager
You can manage your categories in the Category Manager. Each article must be assigned to a category. Each category can have a child category or may be assigned as a parent category. Sometimes it’s beneficial to assign proper categories because you can also create menu types of a category blog where you list all articles in one category.
- Login to your Joomla 3 Administrator Backend
- Click on ‘Content’
- Click on ‘Category Manager‘
2. Click on New Category in Article Category Manager
Create a new category in the Category Manager. There is a ‘new’ button at the top left of the screen.
- In Category Manager: Articles
- Click on ‘New‘ Button
3. Enter New Category Details in Article Category Manager
Enter your new category details. You can assign your new category to be a parent category or assign it to be a child category under another category. I’m creating a new top article category meaning it will have no parent.
- In Category Manager: Add a New Articles Category
- Under Category Details, set the following values:
- Title = CmsMind New Category
- Alias = CmsMind New Category
- Description = CmsMind New Category
- Parent = No Parent
- Status = Published
- Access = Public
- Language = All
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
Now your new category has been saved. You can use the Category Manager to view all your categories. You can also edit your article and assign articles to your new article category.