Creating nested article categories is very simple. In my last tutorial here, I showed you how to create parent article categories, so it’s pretty much the same thing. Except this time, you will select a parent category instead of no parent. The nested article category will be a child of the parent category. So if you create a menu category blog, you can choose to include all child categories or just the parent category. Below are the steps to create a nested article category.
Overview of Steps to Create a Nested Article Category
- Go to Content
- Click on New Category in Article
- Enter New Category Details in Article
- See New Nested Article Category in Category Manager
1. Go to Content Category Manager
The content Category Manager manages all the categories associated with your articles. There is also the Banner category manager, Contact category manager andcategory Manager. All category managers function the same way, where you can modify, delete, create new categories for the component or article you are working with.
- Login to your 3 Administrator Backend
- Click on ‘Content’
- Click on ‘Category Manager‘
2. Click on New Category in Article Category Manager
Create a new category in the Category Manager for Articles. There is a ‘new’ button at the top left of the screen.
- In Category Manager: Articles
- Click on ‘New‘ Button
3. Enter New Category Details in Article Category Manager
Enter your new category details. You can assign your new category to be a parent category or assign it to be a child category under another category. In my example, I will be creating a nested or child category under the Joomla category.
- In Category Manager: Add A New Articles Category
- Click on the ‘Category Details’ tab and set the following values:
- Title = Nested Category Joomla 2
- Alias = Nested Category Joomla 2
- Description = Nested Category Joomla 2. This is a new nested article category under Joomla The parent article category is Joomla. Elaine @ Cmsmind.com
- Under Details, set the following values:
- Parent = Joomla (or whatever parent category you want)
- Status = Published
- Access = Public
- Language = All
- Click on ‘Save & Close’
4. See New Nested Article Category in Category Manager
After you save & close your new nested article category, you will see all the categories listed in your Category Manager. See below my new nested category is under my Parent category – Joomla.
- See a green message box that says:
- Message: Category successfully saved
- See your new nested category in the category listing under your parent category you selected in step 3
Hope that helps,