A very common question is how to reset youradministrator password. Either you haven’t used your site for a while, your Joomla site was hacked and the password changed, or perhaps the administrator left and didn’t leave you with the Joomla administrator password.
You already tried to reset your administrator password in the front end and did not work or have access. You also tried to use the forget password tool and no password was sent. So my advice would be to useto reset your Joomla Administrator password.
If your site is still intact, there is no need to reinstall Joomla or reconfigure and install your site from scratch. You will have to know how to navigate to and around your. MySQL is where all your data is stored and phpMyAdmin is the application you use to view the tables and views for the core data of your site. You can access all the Joomla tables, queries and views. It is important that you know what you are doing in the phpMyAdmin otherwise you could potentially delete important data essential to the site.
Here is a step by step guide on how to change your Joomla administrator password in phpMyAdmin:
1. Go to your phpMyAdmin.
2. Select the database you are using for the Joomla site, usually you will only have one. This value you entered when you first setup your Joomla site.
3. You will see a list of database tables on the left navigation.
4. If you used “jos” as your database prefix, which is the default, Click on the table “jos_users”.
5. Click on the “browse” button in top toolbar. This will show a list of all the users set up for your site.
6. Find the user whose password you want to change – the adminitrator username.
7. Click the Edit icon for this row.
8. A form will display that allows you to edit the password field.
9. The password is stored in HEX so you cannot just type in any phrase here. Copy this exact HEX value
10. Paste the exact HEX value into your password field. Click “Go”.
11. phpMyAdmin should display the message “Affected rows: 1”.
12. Login to your Joomla site with your administrator and your password has been changed to:
You should immediately change the administrator password to a more secure password that includes numbers, caps, symbols, and at least 8 characters long.
If you think there was a chance that your site was hacked, change the password for other users on the site as well and make sure when you log into the Joomla administrator that you check the