– I was trying to attach a PDF document to one of my articles and was having problems. The upload image would not display my pdf file and therefore I couldn’t add it into my article. If I just typed in the article link, it would show a broken link. I wonder why attaching a any file, not just a PDf file is so difficult in ??
I looked at all theand editors recommended, but I really cannot find a solution. I’ve come up with my own little solution, which is ugly but it will do the trick until someone comes up with an extension or editor fix to this problem – which I hope is soon. Below are steps to link a PDF icon image to the PDF file in your images directory.
1. Download a PDF icon image.
- Right click on PDF icon below and save it to your desktop
2. Upload a PDF icon image
- Login to your administrator backend.
- Click on Content,
- Upload the PDF icon image file from your desktop
- It should now be sitting in your /images directory
3. Create new folder for PDF files
- In , under your /images directory
- Create a new folder called PDF
4. Edit the Article – insert pdf icon
- Go to the article you wish to edit in Content Manager
- Click on Content, Article Manager, click and edit the article
- Click to attach an image – select the PDF image you uploaded in step 2
5. Upload PDF file
- Click to insert an image, switch to your PDF folder created in step 3
- Browse and upload your PDF file – remember the filename. For example my pdf filename is ‘Joomla16.pdf’
6. Link Image to the PDF File:
- Still in Article edit mode
- Click on the PDF icon link you inserted in step 4
- Click on the hyperlink – insert/edit link and set:
Link URL= images/PDF/<the filename you uploaded in step 5>
For example, my Link URL = images/PDF/Joomla16.pdf
7. If you don’t remember your PDF filename
- Click on Content, Media Manager
- Your PDF file will either be in your images/ directory or images/PDF directory.
Save your article and refresh it on the frontend of your Joomla 1.6 website and you should see a PDf icon link that links to your PDF document. I know this is an ugly solution and not the best, but it does what I need to do.
If you have a better solution or know of a fix to this problem, please let me know. I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks for your help!