I thought creating shortcodes was a difficult thing to do, but surprisingly it’s not. I have Theme installed, so this tutorial will be geared towards users with the Theme. If you do not have , you can still edit your functions.php file and follow the same steps.
This WordPress tutorial will guide Thesis theme users how to create a shortcode for Googlecode and how to add it into your WordPress posts.
For example, I want:
- I want to be able to use the shortcode in my posts simply by typing [my5links]
- Login to your Google Adsense to create, configure and get your Adsense code
- Backup and Edit Thesis custom_functions.php
- Add shortcode syntax into the Thesis custom_functions.php
- Create a post and use the Adsense Shortcode
- View your post
- Create our own Adsense code.
- Your adsense code will look something like this:
2. Backup and Edit Thesis ‘custom_functions.php’
- Login to your FTP File Manager and take a backup of your Thesis custom_functions.php.
- The file is located in your thesis themes custom folder, IE:
- Login to your WordPress Administrator Panel
- Click on Thesis, Custom File Editor
- Currently editing, Use the drop down to select ‘custom_functions.php‘
- Click on ‘Edit selected file’
3. Add Shortcode code into Thesis ‘custom_functions.php’
- In the custom_functions.php file, go to the bottom of the file and append the following code. Remember to use your own Adsense code:
- Your shortcode string will be [my5links]. Use that anywhere on your WordPress website and Google Adsense 5 links will show up.
- Click on ‘Save’
4. Create a post and use the Adsense Shortcode
- Click on Posts, Add New
- In the body of the post, add in this text:
- See the screenshot for an example
- Save and publish your post.
5. View your Post
- View your post and you will see that your shortcode [my5links] will automatically convert to adsense code.